- three servings
- 1 bag of unpopped popcorn*
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 small lime – halved
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- *for gluten-free, try Orville Redenbacher’s (no, I wasn’t paid to say that)
My adventurin’ side doesn’t get out much in winter. When it hits 30°, my scarf-wrapped, frozen-nose mind yearns for a toasty room with a loud tv. And Friday night brought just that. My roommates and I convened in the living room (a loose term in a NY apartment) for a fun film and hot popcorn. (Two of us hadn’t seen The Royal Tenanbaums, so that won out. Really enjoyed it.)
As much as I was hankering to get started with the movie, snacks were definitely in order. Thankfully this one takes almost no time to make. And who can resist garlicky, salted popcorn with a brightened zest of lime? I hope you enjoy each crunchy kernel with your movie of choice.
1. Heat up the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, with three kernels. When the three kernels start to pop, add the remaining kernels and garlic. Cover with a lid, so the popcorn doesn’t fly into your mouth. But hey, that’s not so bad.
2. Continue to cook the kernels, occasionally vigorously shaking the pan (even when they all start to pop). After about five minutes, or when the popping slows down, remove the pan from heat. Let stand for about one minute for the popping to stop.
3. Toss in the spices, and squeeze the lime juice evenly over the popcorn. Stir gently with a large spoon, and distribute evenly in bowls. Enjoy!